Christmastime gift-giving among friends is always a treat. Over the years, we've made and given cookies, brownies, spiced nuts, and even hummus! This hot chocolate mix is simple to make and can be stored in jars for up to two months. And if you're extra creative, you can decorate the jars too!
The addition of nonfat dry milk powder and cornstarch yields a deeply chocolaty drink that isn't overly rich. This is a hot chocolate that you can sip on and enjoy without feeling like you maybe overdid it.
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate , chopped fine
- 1 cup (3 ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) nonfat dry milk powder
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Process all ingredients in food processor until ground to powder, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer to jars.
- Store in canning jars.
- Keeps for two months.
- Serves 12, makes 3 cups. Can easily half or double the recipe.
- To make a cup of hot chocolate to drink, simply heat 1 cup of milk in saucepan over medium heat until it is steaming, then whisk in 1/4 cup of mix and continue to heat, whisking constantly, until the hot chocolate is simmering… about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Original recipe can be found at CooksIllustrated.com.